Extended vs Nucleus

I grew up in an extended family comprising Mak (mom), Bak (father), elder brothers, elder sisters, one younger sis, 2 sets of uncle & aunt, cousin brothers, cousin sisters and Tok (Grandmama). Remember the 7 bedroomed house (home) and when nighttime comes, literally every inch of the floor in the house were used up. Not all members of the family were there at one time as some already left the house to attend Universities, some left for work in other parts of the State or even to another country. I grew up with so much love around me and my childhood memories was nothing but pure happiness. Everywhere you turn there was always someone to speak to, someone to hear stories from, someone to respect, someone to laugh with, someone to play with, someone to teach you something, always something to learn about, food to be shared even if there was not enough to go round, sharing was a way of life ( though I did take my aunt's cheese without permission- have to tell her that soon). I could read even before I started schooling, there were books everywhere in every nook and corner of the house. Books from teach yourself to play guitar to books on teach yourself Urdu. Of course as a child then books belonging to my cousins who were already schooling in Year 1 & 2 were a challenge for me to read. Then, there were no Ladybird series or other children's books, so in not so many words I was ahead in my reading at a very young age. To anyone who knows me now, they might just understand why I am the way I am with people around me... the result of coming from an extended family. I can't say much about coming from a nucleus family experience but my children experienced that in their early years, so they may be able to write on that. My two sons and a daughter are a product of both nucleus and extended as they go through their phases in life.... Either has its advantages and disadvantages I presume... Coming from where I did, my dream is to live in a big house where all my children and grandchildren will live under one roof. Just a dream and will remain a dream.....

Comments