Wedding Reception cum Reunion in JB


When my late eldest Uncle, Abdul Hamid was still alive, my cousin Dr. Rahmah Salleh tried to organise a 'the big family' reunion but it did not happen because many couldn't commit to one date to have the reunion. That time my youngest aunt too was still around. She too has passed on since. That was two years or was it more than three years ago. Now only my aunt , Safiah and my late uncle, Osman's wife , Mak Yah are left of that generation. Both are in their seventies.

Nevertheless last 9th February 2013 my cousin, Ismail Salleh invited the family on my grandmother, Jumirah's side, to his daughter's wedding reception in Johor Bahru. It was a reunion on its own. Children of my late uncle, Bak Long, Mak Ngah (my mom), Bak Man, Bak Leh, Uchu and my living aunt, Safiah's children were there. It wasn't 100% attendance from these families but it was big enough a number to bring joy to the event. The family from the big house in Jalan Mariamah met again. The family from Batu Pahat, were there too. Except now everyone came either with their spouses and children. My late eldest brother's children were there too. My immediate neighbour, Mak Ngah's chidren were also present.



With my cousin, Dr. Rahmah, a year my junior, tog with her daughter and nieces.
 She is the closest to me in age, but having left the house at age 12 to a boarding school has kept us apart.

Our grandmother, our parents too, have long been gone but we the cousins still try to keep in touch even if it means at wedding's only. As for the next generation, our children may not be as close but we can rest assure that they are close with their own cousins. The family pyramid is spreading, heavier at the bases and maybe they will someday find themselves related if they do not know it yet. We the parents may have failed to bring all together in our lifetime but they will each know who and where their roots are, hopefully. 

Comments