Sacre Coeur, Paris

I have been to Paris on several occasions but the trip I made with my kids in 1997, together with my bro-in-law and my niece Mimi brings back many memories. Since I arrived in UK, in Sept the year before, that was the first time any of my relatives came to visit. Both my bro-in-law and Mimi were on their way back from The United States to Malaysia. Paris was one of the many places we visited together. The children were so happy to have them around. Reza,13. Ayla, 11 and Azeem 6 then were happy to have someone they knew even if it was for only a short while. Ayla who was shy as a young girl actually communicated a lot with both.

The crossing on SEAlink over the English Channel was such an enjoyable one for the children. I felt that trip were all about them as I saw the happiness on their faces. I felt some form of relief as I could step back as I watched them. 'Kak Mimi' was all eyes and ears to them. Sweet girl then, a mommy to two kids now and a wonderful woman she turned out to be - none other my niece.

We stayed in a hotel in the suburbs of Paris. The first meal we had was the barbequed chicken I prepared from home in Birmingham. we had it with Pita bread. Later we walked to purchase sandiwiches from the gas station. We bought egg sandwiches as that was the only halal sandwich sold. If in England we would have prawn sandwich which I usually purchase from British Home Store. To our surprice there was little pieces of 'Jambon' (the only French word I know besides merci). Mimi and the kids asked if it was alright to get rid of the little pieces and eat the rest but I told them if we don't eat them we still won't die. So it's a no go. We finally gave away the sandwiches to the English ladies in the group.

Dinnertime at the hotel, we ordered smoked Salmon for starters and when my bro-in-law asked the waiter for chili sauce, the chef literally came out so displeased. We thought we only heard about that from others but it was true. Ha ha French chefs...

We took long walks around Paris visiting the usual places. Again visits to the Churches though we did not go inside this time. Wherever we went we took time to relax in the parks and simply chat. I remember on the grounds of Sacre Coeur Ayla had her hair braided and she simply loved it. A simple girl then suddenly all dolled up with the new hair style. I wondered if she remembered that. I have photos of the trip but right now I don't have time to search for them. We walked through the Artists Quarter of  Paris before we arrived at Sacre Coeur. That was where you get Artists selling their sketches and art works. The walk up the hill was exciting and the climbing down of the steps at Sacre Cour was a dance then. If I make the trip today I will skip this place totally.


We also went to the Notre-Dame Cathedral area. Just to be where the 'Hunchback of Notre-Dame' was. The children watched cartoons of the 'legend' not knowing any bit of the history. Neither did I.

The Disneyland was of course a must during the trip. Through my years since I watched the kids grow, this trip with my bro-in-law and Mimi was among the best. The children learnt how to bond with others, as I sat back and watched. The whole year spent in UK in 1996/1997, these were the precious moments. I probably don't remember Paris like others do but like in all my travels, I remember more of the emotions and the people that make the trip whole. Paris will always be the trip with special people in my life.

Tuti, my other niece later joined the sister in Birmingham all the way from Melbourne, Australia where she was studying then. Both later travelled together to London and Europe. We did not join them but am sure they had a lovely time together. The two sisters are a year apart and has always been close and I think they still are.  

Comments