What defines you?

Ever since I was a teenager, I never understood why we had to wear or use branded goods. The earliest among the things that teenagers own was probably a pair of jeans. Levis was the game and if you couldn't wear them you're not in the game. That was the peer pressure created those days and I can vouch that since those days I could never fit into a Levis jeans whatever the size may be. Actually it's a lousy brand cause they never do their survey well catering only only for the thin people.

I never cared much about brand but was influenced by friends who go for branded things. Even in doing so I could not understand why I had to own them, supposedly it was to define you. It never made me feel any better owning them.I have owned RM10 sandals to Bally shoes, RM30 handbags to Radley,from cheap bracelets to diamond bracelet to jade and to add to the collection was an Omega watch studded with diamonds of which I wear on special occasions only. Still it did not define me. But glad to say I was not a slave to this fact that I had to have branded things to make me feel good about myself.

I see my children got into that trap, the eldest however never fell into the trap, Alhamdulillah. The other two has grown out of it until the youngest even dress like Simon Cowell. My daughter believes that quality goods gives you a highr benefit:cost return. The goods last longer. True, I still have the Bally, Clarks shoes and Bally handbag she bought me. Leather does mellow with age. I have to stop buying these goods if I plan to retire soon I guess but it's alright. Was never burdened by this anyway. The things you own don't define you. Don't worry if you have never owned an LV or Coach. You are who you are no matter what, so its more important to find youself and who you really are without those baggage. Good Luck.

Comments