The Love of His Life

Every morning on my way to work, I would see an elderly couple in their late sixties or early seventies, sitting side by side under their makeshift stall by the roadside on the otherside of the wall to their corner lot house, selling nasi lemak. Sometimes they would be chatting to each other, at other times he would be reading the newspaper while his wife sit beside him while waiting for someone to stop by.

Yesterday on Chinese New Year Day, not rushing to work, I decided to stop by his stall to buy a few packets of his nasi lemak. A friendly person, making small talk and he went on telling me that he was from Johor Bahru (my hometown), schooling at English College in JB and later went to work in Singapore after his schooling days. He said he ended up in Selangor because his daughter is a lecturer in UIA (Universiti Islam Antarabangsa), thus he bought a house in Subang Jaya.

I simply asked him where his wife was seeing that he was alone this morning. I was shocked at first when he replied that his wife had passed away but then he went on saying that he had remarried. Wow! I thought to myself, he must have loved his late wife so dearly to be speaking of her still, to a spontaneous question, at another phase of his life. His late wife must be the love of his life.

Suddenly I thought of my predicament. My hubby might answer the same thing if someone asked him where his wife is. Then again I will never know but I guess it's ok if I am not the love of his life..... what do I expect, after all I came so late into his life.

Comments