Happy Birthday Sis....

October has been a hectic month for me at work and my nights were also spent trying to meet the dateline. It's now done and little did I realise that I only wrote twice in the last month. More work scheduled to come but at least there's time for a breather.

Yesterday, 1.11.11, was my youngest sister's birthday. I managed to text her in the morning and spoke to her on the phone in the evening. Age is just a number so I won't reveal that. We are three and a half years apart and we are also like poles apart.

When I was 6 years of age, thereabouts she would be three, then I felt like the big sister comforting her when she cried while waiting for Bak (father) to finish work at Encik's house (the employer). That I remember waiting for Bak at the steps of the big house. My elder siblings would know who that employer was, probably the grandparents of the 'Professor Ungku Aziz' so I gathered. Well that's not the point to elaborate. Little sis was always with Mak while I was the independent one, I felt. She had two other cousin sistesr to play with while I had to find my own friends from school. She more often than not has nicer dresses than me, she was fairer and thinner than me as a child. Mak goes to her school activities while Bak went to mine. She was the spoilt one whereas I was the adventurous one as a child.

I left home for boarding school at age 12, while she stayed at home while attending school near home. I left  farther from home to finish my education while she stayed on and attended the local Institute. She stayed home longer while I came home for holidays since I was twelve. She spent more time with the family while I spent lesser time. She is more attached while I probably was detached with the family. Despite my early years of being adventurous it took a turn at 18, when I felt I got everything on a plate though not a silver plate, I reckon. Whereas sis became the stronger one as she had to get things the hard way. She became street smart, wheras I became the gullible one.

Despite all that, while I travel alone and stay in hotels, she wondered how I managed living alone in those hotel rooms. She was a good student at University doing assignments way ahead of datelines, while I was the last minute type working on the adrenalin when I had to rush with the assignments.While she is a good cook, I am lousy at that. My children and I go to her home for scrumptious meals on our free weekends. There she takes care of me like she is the big sister. She prepares breakfast for the family, while I dragged myself out of bed.

We have something in common though, we are both high strung but we are both soft at heart but the similarities stop there. She pose a stronger outer shell while I am an emotional wreck. She is not very expressive with her feelings, while I wear my heart on my sleeve.

Whatmore can I say, looks as though we have different upbringing but that's not true. We had the same lovely parents and siblings except for the environment we grew up in as adolescents and adults moulded us dufferently, I guess. All the same I love you sis...

Comments