Age is Not Just A Number Anymore


My day started at midnight last night when my grandson, Jundi phoned me to wish me Happy Birthday. His mom obviously let him stayed up just to get the thrill of wishing me first. Normally my kids would do that.
My phone alarm went off with a message 'go for holiday because it is your bday', grand daughter Almira put that in my calender when I was with them last month. She added that activity in my calender after finding out what the google calender was for. Alas, no holiday becauae of COVID19. It was suppose to be a surprise getaway with all my children and family. It has been postponed to end of year instead.
More calls, more messages, reply to messages, video call listening to Almira and Annisa playing a Birthday Song on the piano until she played the baby shark song for me while banging her little fingers on the piano. More video calls from Jundi and Mahdi as well as HessaSayang, Huda, Amanda and Edreanna too. When you are this age that is just how the day goes by. You are reminded again and again that you are a grandmother many times over.
I remembered the year I celebrated my 40th birthday was the year that I did not want to get older anymore. At 40, I had a good career, I had 3 lovely children, life was not at its pinnacle but I was not complaining. Of course every year the number crept on, thereon it kept happening. The numbers kept adding but I kept pushing myself to go beyond. I went back to studying while my children was entering University, I did too. I was left with my youngest son at home, supposedly to be home with him all the time as my work was taking me overseas and regularly out of town. I needed to stay close to him, so it was back to University for me as that was the only solution. I was offered to study in Japan and I had to negotiate with JPA to let me just study in UPM instead. JPA relented.
As I continued counting the years, it is never the same anymore. 10 years passed as soon as it came. I seriously began to think what have I prepared myself for the thereafter, in case my time would soon be ending. My thoughts are in line with this guide, the three things that we should hold on to firstly, knowledge that benefit the masses, secondly, good deeds and thirdly your righteous children. The journey now changes and it had to change focusing on those three and nothing else really matters anymore.
As I add a year each time I have to be more alert as it is now a year lesser time spent on Allah's beautiful creation, realizing it is only temporary. Suddenly age is not just a number anymore. Knowledge in my expert area, I can't impart anymore leaving just the good deeds and relying on my children. I may not have invested enough on my children but I tried my best to raise them the best I can Ya Rabb. As for the good deeds, may Allah give me and us the opportunity to still do them till our dying breath. May Allah guide us all.
To all my family and friends, thank you for all your doas and kind wishes, that I hold Dear to my heart. To those who prayed for me in silence, may Allah bless you just the same. A memorable birthday no doubt, with COVID19 in the air. May Allah protect all of us from harm and may Allah ease for all the frontliners and keep them safe. Aamiin.

Comments