Music to my Ears

I remembered Mak playing the Malay tunes on the blue baby piano she or my sister bought for my sister Chom. I wondered what if she had the chance to play on a real piano. She never learnt music, she had an ear for music I guess.

If you are like me, you too could have sent your children to learn an instrument and one wonders why and for what reason?

When I was in boarding school, the students who learnt the piano were those from well to do families? It was truly wonderful hearing them playing their pieces in the lounge. Our Selendang Delima had a piano in the lounge area or was it in every house? People like me never had the opportunity to play an instrument except for the recorder lol. I was not in the school band so I did not play any other instrument neither.

My children never knew the reason why I send them to keyboard classes at Yamaha. The reason because I never had the opportunity, 2ndly if ever they have the talent or potential, I need to maximise their potential and 3rdly because I can afford to send them. The youngest did not learn keyboard though. His is another story.

So my first two children did learn the keyboard, not the piano because I did not expect them to learn music seriously, playing Beethoven, Chopin etc.. but just to know enough to play the music they like. Never had I in my mind to turn them into music instructor or instructress. Maybe now I regret, a music teacher could have been great too.

The eldest learnt for a short period. He was 5 years old then and there was a battle between Yamaha music and Ninja Turtles then I think. Obviously Ninja Turtles won. He however went ahead to play the guitar and sing too. He wooed his future wife then, through his singing, if I was not mistaken.. now the rest is history.

The daughter learnt a bit longer, until all of us had to go to England. After a year we came back but she never picked keyboard lessons again. She can play, more by the ear. She listens and she can play, though I have not heard her play for a long time now. There's dust on the keyboard at home now I guess. She can sing too, can you Dek? Oh and I sent my daughter for violin lessons too hoping that she will be the next Vanessa Mae.

The youngest I sent for guitar lessons since he wanted his Dad to buy him an electric guitar. I was still sending him for classes and he was 15 already then. Sigh!! Yes he could play the guitar not like Jimi Hendrix though but it's ok. He went on to sing for the family band 'The Marjans'. They had several performances until they slowed down and stopped when everyone started going to college.

The point is, I did my part to explore their potential in music though it may not be the best way. I can say I tried.. and now they make their own choices in life to do or not to do music.. whereas I never had the opportunity.

Now, I guess it is their turn to dig the potential in their own children. They may not repeat what I have done but I know they know whatever they choose to explore would be the best for their children. All the best kiddos.

Comments