The New Year 2015

One of the houses we used to live in was located close to a small river and every time it rains heavily the house would be flooded. The house was a double storey semi concrete and wooden house. We had two kitchen area one dining and a bedroom downstairs while the living room and 3 other bedrooms were upstairs. My family and an aunt's family lived there. We didn't keep many furniture downstairs because of the flooding. The aftermath of the flooding was always to get rid of the mud that had settled in the house. Also to clean the few furniture we had downstairs. This is nothing compared to the catastrophic flood in the East Coast of Malaysia that had occurred recently between 24th Dec 2014 and crossing over the new year 2015. It seems that it is worse than the 1926 or the 1967 flood.

The extent of the flood was if one can imagine,  a 4 storey school was submerged up to the 3rd level.  
I personally cannot say that I understand how the victims feel as my life was never disrupted even with those frequent floods. Not only that the victims lose every thing they ever owned but how do they really cope in the aftermath. How do they even start their lives again? We the fortunate ones do we really understand? The catastrophy can be summed up easily in three sentences:

-some lost their loved ones
-some lost their homes
-many lost every thing they owned

In the three regions struck, Kelantan was the worst with approximately 160,000 evacuees. It was also the State where I used to live in between 1983 to 1986. Then my late father-in-law's house was never flooded.

I personally wouldn't know where to start again, if I am one of the victims. May Allah give them the strength to move on and start anew.

I didn't  send many New Year wishes. Pardon me for that. With so many people suffering I didn't feel like rejoicing the new year but quietly thank Allah for all the blessings that he has given us. May Allah has mercy on all of us.










Comments