Bak, The Wise Dad

Watching the Planet Music Award last night with my sis and family brought back memories of Bak (my father). He was very particular about us practising the religion and all but he allowed us to make our own decisions with his guidance of course. I remembered my two sisters entering singing competitions in school and at the University and all and I guess they won several times. Never did they enter Juara Bintang RTM or similar competitions during those days.

However my youngest sis did asked my father for permission to let her be a singer. My wise father only had to say this and my sis thought it better not to  pursue her dream. He did his job as a father and all he said was 'if you sing noone will be reciting the Quran for you when you die, they will only sing for you'. As a parent sometimes you don't have to say no, just use your wisdom. All of us burst out laughing thinking how wise he was. My sis is a teacher now and a good one too. She still sings within her comfort zone I guess. My other sis went into lecturing instead of singing too.

I detest the program 'Idola Kecil', never watch it anyway. Do get excited if the children can sing cause I'm sure they can read the Quran better. I have two sons who sing too but I'm not as wise as my father. The elder son is with family now, still sings for fun I guess and the other son aspires to make music and sing still with his cousins. Maybe I just make doa for them instead. Allah the merciful.

Comments