Selamat Hari Raya/ Eid 1433

Yesterday was the first day of Eid. I spent yesterday with my husband, my children and their family, my hubby's children who came all the way from the Northern State in Malaysia to join us in Subang Jaya. My children's father and wife too joined us for the celebration. It seemed so perfect the way Allah has made all our lives entwined together. There was so much food to eat but not to the point of wasting any. Alhamdulillah.


The daughter & husband in ocean blue.

Later in the afternoon we went to visit my ex-sister in law (my ex-hubby's sister; is there such a term) who just had a bypass during Ramadhan. She was recuperating well but this morning I was told that she was readmitted to the hospital with breathing difficulties. May Allah grant her good health again.

Late in the evening together with my children and family, we made our regular visit to my late sister's house which was the routine for many years as I spent many years in Kuala Lumpur as a single parent without having to go to any in-laws house. At that house too, year after year I would meet my Aunt (mom's sister), my cousin and her family, as well as my other three sisters. However, this year they are at their in-laws, one in the State of Perak and the other in USA visiting David's parents (sis husband family). Today, I am already at my hubby's home in the Northern State. My children have gone to their in-laws abode whereas my youngest is in Melbourne without me having to fuss over him.

Visiting families during Eid in Malaysia could be more of a culture thing than religious. The religious part is keeping up with the silaturrahim bit. In Malaysia it seems such a big joke that we celebrate Eid for one whole month but in Makkah it is only celebrated for a day. This is why I said it's more of  culture than religious. What's the big deal? If one has a big family like mine, you really do need a month to complete the visits cause after a few days leave you are back at work. It's only during the weekends you can do the visiting. It's the open house (a special invitation to family and friends with free flowing food) concept that loses all the sincerity in the visits. As for me, I avoid the open houses but I will visit if I can fit them all in.  It can be so trying and exhausting. It is also the time when the younger family members make visits to their grandma and grandad, aunts and uncles together with mom and Dad.

The month long celebration is alright in my opinion as long as we are moderate in our preparations. Also as long as we keep our solat, take care of our aurat and all that is asked of us as a Muslim. Thank you Allah for the beautiful month of Ramadhan and may you Grant us another year for us to meet the next Ramadhan and for us to make the same doa year after year.

Comments