Ignorance is no bliss...

As I listen and watched the Terawih prayers live from Makkah on TV from 2am to 4am, it angered  me for I do not know which surah the Imam was reciting from in his prayers. I have read the translation before but do not know which surah it was from. Feeling so annoyed and the more determined I am to study the translation and tafsir. Even the order of the Surahs in the Quran is not at my fingertips and I call myself a Muslim. I made doa to Allah to ease the learning of the Quran for me in my 2nd half of my life if I live to 100. Not knowing the Arabic language I vowed to myself to learn Arabic from the word by word Quran translation, yet to be done. I am struggling.

My appeal to my children and young listeners is to educate your children such that the Quran is part and parcel of their everyday lives. Let me share this story with you. The Imam Muda (a reality program to tap the young generation of Imams to be) third finalist IM Naufal is a friend's son. Though I did not follow the programme due to my schedule. When I was bringing up my children sending them to Government school and religious school, this friend together with another started their own school to cater for their children's education to integrate Islamic Studies in the cirriculum. One started a Malay medium religious school and the other an English medium. Naufal is a product of this school.

The friend said this to share with the group:

'When we started our chain of schools more than 30 years ago (started with The kindergarten Amal, then Al-Amin, Al-Hira and later Adni n sister schools), Naufal was the product we had in mind. He is a product of our integrated holistic education system, professional and yet be an ustaz/ustazah anytime anywhere. Should see our adni and sister school products who can talk about Islam in Queens English because we want them to dakwah at International level. They also have students learning Arabic, French, Mandarin.

'Last night we had iftar and terawikh amongst the Beijing trip Alumni i.e. Adni students who went to Beijing for the Immersion program to celebrate the visit of the Chinese Muslim teachers, all from China. Amongst the ADNI students mandrin enthusiasts there are two  Al-Hafiz who led the terawikh prayers. One of them doing foundation Medic and the other doing Engineering. When they lead the prayers they're like imams at the mosque and after the terawikh they went to play futsal like any other teens. We have made them Al-Hafiz of a different breed!

Naufal lost to his competitor who already had Masters degree in Islamic studies presumbaly aged 28 yrs of age. Naufal is only 21 as old as my youngest son.

In Haram and Madinah young children reciting the Quran to become Al-Hafiz is a common sight. Let's change the approach of integrating the Quran in our lives and make it a  way of life as it should. I still think it is not too late for me so never for you or anyone for that matter. If I can give everything else to study the Quran I would thus I have made doa for Allah to guide me, so shall you.

The next time when I hear the recitation and read the translation, I would know from which Surah it came from and better still I do not have to read the translation and understand what it is being recited. Insyallah. This is my doa and should be yours too. Amin.

Comments