Celebrating Eid at The in-Laws

I still remember when my sister wanted to marry an American, my Mom and Dad did not approve immediately. I know because I was living at home then and sis was already studying in the USA. Being typical Muslims during those days when inter-racial marriage was not even common in Malaysia, let alone inter-continental marriage. Every parents fear is of course practising religion and losing his/her daughter to the husband. All the what ifs come into their minds. What if my sis decide not to come back to Malaysia. What if she is not able to help the husband to practice Islam. Many more questions presumably then. Now, Alhamdulillah 36 years on if I am not mistaken, they are blessed with four children, 3 girls and a boy, and a total of 4 grandchidren. They have been living in Malaysia since 1980 or 1981. Lost track, can't remember. The eldest child was born in 1981. All the children were born here in Malaysia.

In my family I was the first to meet my bro-in-law and his family during my trip to the US in my earlier blog. Oh was I nervous!! That's history now.

As usual I hijacked these photos from facebook. In my mind if these photos are for public viewing I suppose they, the parents wouldn't mind. The grandchildren...

Summaiya, Salma and Thaqif
 
Salma & Hannan
 
The parents to these children are in my blog titled 'Dearest Sisters... Don't we Love Them?' Sis and bro-in-law are in US this Eid visiting brother's parents and siblings together with the two remaining unmarried children, Aishah and Omar. We miss them here at home.
 
If a marriage is based on Lillahi Taala, Allah will always be there to help every step of the way. It's us that make things complicated. If a foreigner marries into a Malay family, we expect them to become a Malay, wearing sarong or don the baju Melayu or baju kurung, for the foreign ladies. That is so wrong, as long as they take care of the aurat and that they practice Islam is all that is required. In every marriage, there are always the ups and down, even marrying your own race does not guarantee anything. Allah choseth those He wants to give Hidayah. Love Allah and Allah may give Hidayah to the one you love if he or she is not a Muslim and only if he or she is the right one for you. Do not follow your heart....
 
 
 


Comments

  1. http://amal-testedrecipes.blogspot.com27 August 2012 at 15:03

    Alhamdulillah. Itulah kehendakNya. Thank you Sis. Miss you much. Love you....Amal

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment