Hijab

I was like a lost soul at one time. When you don't do the solat well, you don't do many things well.One of the obvious was wearing the hijab.Hijab is any clothing to cover the hair of women which is the aurat (cannot be seen by non-maharam). Hijab may have a wider meaning of modesty, privacy and morality. When my non-muslim friends asked me why I did not wear the hijab , I confidently say that it's more important to have a good heart, hijab can be worn when we are older. Ha ha..what crap!

One can't prioritise things in Islam. Islam is a way of life, there's no such things as you do this first and the other later nor can you choose the things you like to do and not the other. I grew up as a child when even the elders then did not wear the hijab. The normal thing was to don a 'selendang' or a scarf with the crown of the hair showing or the length of the long jet black hair being seen. The girls wore 'pinafore' to school even up to when I was 17 years of age. Presumably coming from the 'British' way of life, since we were under the British influence for quite a while. When we went to the religious school, we wore the hijab but then it was simply part of the uniform to attend the religious school. So at other times we simply let our hair free. Obviously we were so ignorant of many things. At age 17 in the Girls' school I attended only two of my friends and the religious teacher wore the hijab. The uniform to school started to change for the Muslim girls after I left school. Today, in the city areas, it is still not compulsory for the Muslim students to wear the traditional clothings and the hijab that cover the aurat but more students are wearing them though it may just be worn to school but not practised outside school hours.

The first time my eldest son saw me wearing the hijab he congratulated me. I fetched him at the commuter station when he came home for his boarding school break and he was already 16 years of age then. My youngest son later told me, the day I wore the hijab, he felt that he was not ashamed of me anymore. Wow! The burden he had to shoulder as a 9 yr old child.My daughter aged 14 then too did not wear the hijab. Imagine my worry on how to tell her to wear became a problem on its own. With lots of doa, she started to wear without me asking her to at the age of 15. She has not shown even a strand of hair since then and has never shown her aurat anymore except for the feet. This is still common today and maybe it's about time we do something about it. To the muslim wives if you say you love your husband,show it, don't just say it, do wear the hijab. The ustaz said that wives who do not wear the hijab is a pulling factor for the husband to enter 'the opposite of heaven'. To husbands who do not allow their wives to wear the hijab,or simply do not care, don't worry you will get help to go where you do not wish to go in the hereafter.

There are just too many verses in the Quran on this, don't even ponder anymore, like Nike says 'Just do it'. For the women just go to  http://www.thehijabstore2u.com to start with. May Allah gives us Hidayah everday of our lives.

Comments