My Very Own Big Family

If we as parents want to know, if we have taught our children well, one would be to see how close they are among siblings. If we lived to see that, Alhamdulillah if not we are sure to reap the rewards just based on how we might have taught them when we were alive.

I come from a family of twelve, six boys and six girls. The first three are boys Mohammad, Abdullah and Yusof.  Brothers Mohammad and Abdullah had both passed on now. Then comes sister Rohaya, Saedah, Sister Rohaya passed on when she was only a week old and sister Saedah just passed on in May 2011. Next is sister Zahrah, the sixth followed by brother Ayub. Then came sis Zamaliah amd bro Jamaluddin. Bro Jamaluddin born in the year 1953/54 had also passed on at the age of 12. Then came bro. Yunos, Me the beautiful one by virtue of my name and lastly my youngest sister Kalthom. I am the eleventh child. Even then a family this size was considered huge. There is a huge age gap between the youngest and the eldest in the family. I remembered that my brother Mohamed, Abdullah was already married and working, while bro Yusof was already at University when I was at the age when I was able to remember.

The girls in the family do really look out for each other. The boys are pretty much busy with their own family even during those days when I was younger. To say they do not care about their siblings is an understatement, maybe they do in their own way. In Islam the guys in the family are given the greater responsibility to take care of their sisters, thus the faraid (division of wealth) goes more to the sons upon the demise of the parents if there are any property left behind. In our case everyone in the family was already married when Mak and Bak passed away, except for my youngest sis who was still single when Mak passed away.

Mak and Bak had a total of 33 grandchildren, born of the second generation of whom 3 are mine and at least 22 great-grandchildren born of the third generation and very soon the birth of the first from the fourth generation.

We, siblings and the family still meet up on occassions like weddings, childbirth, more weddings,  more childbirth, kenduris, visiting the sick etc.. The last time I invited everyone for a feast for my son's bon voyage farewell, I had to rent the medium sized community hall. I guess we still look out for one another until today admist our busy schedule. However what matters most is for us to make doa for everyone from the 2nd to the generations to come as only Allah can look after all of us the best He can. May Allah bless the souls of my forefathers. Al-Fatihah.

Comments