Ramadhan in the Big House

As we go through life, apart from one's upbringing, environment and not to mention genes, it is how the people surrounding you influenced you in one way or another. If you are so used to living your life in a particular way with a certain influence from the people around you and the environment then, you tend to miss it in later years when you don't live the same way anymore.

Ramadhan in the seven bed-roomed house as I remember it was a lot of fun. We didn't all have our meals together as we were three different families living under the same roof. There was a lot of sharing though, whatever mom cooked it would be shared with the other two families and vice versa. It didn't matter whether there was a lot or a little to share. At iftar, the house was already alike to celebrating Eid, everyone gathered together though at different dining areas. Sometimes for the fun of it, we would peep at the other dining area to see if there are other delicacy to be tasted which was not on our table. Little did I realise that from here, at least it taught me to share almost anything especially food even though the portion to be shared is so little. It makes you become such a selfless person. It makes me give away my share everytime there isn't enough to share with my own family now and I'd say I've tasted it already, thank you. Anyway, all mothers would do that I guess.

At the age of 5, I learnt to read my niat for Ramadhan and I was rewarded by my mom or aunt or sis 50cent for that impressive recitation. So proud of myself thinking what a clever kid I was. Can't remember when I started fasting but I am sure I already started when I entered primary one. When I started praying, I am not sure. This was always the focus with little children, start fasting early but I beg to differ. We have to focus on the praying before the fasting as those who pray will never fail to fast but those who fast may fail to pray. Starting early for both is good though at least by age 7.

Bak (father) and the 'males' in the house attended terawikh prayers at the surau/mosque. The women in the house never went to the mosque then. It was adequate for us women to pray at home unlike today where women go to the mosques as well except for Friday prayers. I remembered seeing Bak praying at the wee hours of the morning (2am-3am) most mornings if not every morning. Only years later, I equate that to him actually doing solat Tahajudd. After sahur he would go to the surau for solat subuh and coming home he would recite the Quran till daybreak of which after he would sleep. He kept reading the Quran after every prayer Zuhur and Asar as well. This was a typical Ramadhan routine for him after he pensioned. Little did I realise that routine was so difficult to follow, years later when I tried to do it myself. The excuse was always the fact that I was a working mom. Time was not with me.The excuse went on for years until the time I realised how unfortunate for me that I took Ramadhan so very lightly. To my children do not wait till you lost half a lifetime to do this and we must always pray for us to be around when the next Ramadhan appears.



Comments