Psychology vs Psychiatry....

If I ever have the chance to live part of my life all over again, I would study psychology instead of engineering. Psychology is the science of behaviour and mental processes. Studying psychology is to understand the behaviour of individuals and groups. I have had the pleasure of getting to know many good people from my childhood days, teenage years and through adulthood. It always makes me wonder what is it about them that makes them become such a person, wonderful people. However life is not about all the good things only. Sometimes we are more challenged by rude, nasty, angry people around us. The more I wish to understand why they are so.

What is the difference between psychology and psychiatry. Well, psychiatry is the medical speciality devoted to the study and treatment of mental disorders. However psychological knowledge is applied to the assessment and treatment of mental health problems. When does mental disorder takes over the normal state of mind of a person. Is it at the boundary of being sane to becoming insane. I guess if I read more on it, it can be explained. A person with mental disorder may not always be insane just not mentally healthy, maybe.

Why do people do crazy things? Crazy to some but may not be crazy to the person who does them. My question is why is it so difficult to change human behaviour? Why are people the way they are? Persumably the answer lies within their genes, the environment they were exposed to growing up, the people they encountered in their lives, their emotional and physical growth and many more...... Learning psychology may be just the answer to begin to  understand them... That's fascinating.

Comments

  1. I've always wanted to do Psychology too!
    You copycat =p

    But MARA would only send engineers and medical docs to UK.
    So how now?

    Oh Ms. Psychologist, should I apply for the fellowship? It has been 2 weeks now and I still don't have the answer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment