Make them Remember....Like I Did

Bak was my mentor when it comes to spiritual development, even though I went astray for many years. I owe it to him, as the memories of him carrying out his duties diligently to Allah, was still so fresh in my mind. As such there was always a guide or benchmark for me to come back to though I will never match him. He was one of the biggest influence in my life and when I think of him there's always a lump in my throat.

The way he showed love for me was to keep me to recite the Quran longer than the others though I was not the worst of his students (the other was only my brother) then. Now I understand that his standards were high, like me today I would push myself just to achieve more because I know I can. He pushed me because he knew I could. I remembered I missed one of my favourite show on TV and when I finished the quran reading, I just cried out of disappointment. To my children never stop reciting the Quran for long as your tajwid will definitely go haywire after so long just like what happened to mama. Believe me I am at my worst now, just when I was at my best when I was a child. Take that cue from me..don't question!!!

I also remebered Bak doing his fasting on Mondays and Thursdays without fail, most time and every year for many years I would join him in the Mondays, Thursdays and also the six days fasting in the month of Syawal. I remembered he taught me to recite 'Bismillah...." 21 times, recite Al=Fatihah and the three Kuls before I sleep too. We would do the solat jamaah too occasionally. All this I did when I was a child and during my teenage years when I come home from boarding school.

For me it may be too late to teach my children anything myself for them to learn and remember but for my children make sure you teach your children good things yourself so they remember you better and the good teachings if they follow will bring reward to you in the thereafter for as long as they do it in their lifetime. So teach them and make them remember......like I did.

Comments

Post a Comment