What You Didn't Know About Your Grandma.

A weekend with my two elder sisters and younger sister made me discover who Mak really was.... My mom used to have a bestfriend ( my aunt was married to her brother if I am not wrong) who was childless. When my mom gave birth to her 5th child who was a girl, she gave my sister to her bestfriend but unfortunately my sister died about one week after birth. Then, my sis revealed that when she (the sixth child) was born, she too was almost given to mom's bestfriend to replace my sister who died until my grandma stopped my mom from doing that. Maybe then, she knew that not all that Allah has given to her was hers alone. Allah later blessed her with six more children and I was her eleventh child.

Mom was known for her generosity according to my elder sis. She was a house wife without any earnings but when she received some from Dad, or from my working brothers and sisters she would give some to her younger siblings who were less fortunate than us, though we didn't have that much extra during those days. I remembered my childhood when we used to go visiting mom's friend bringing cooked food or Malay delicacies which was always homemade as it was always cheaper to make than to buy. Even after her death we, the children still visit her friend, only one left now.

She walked the talk, in Islam you are asked to think of others, not to be selfish and if you wish to give something to someone always give the best. I never remembered her adorned with jewellery or dressed in expensive clothes, she was dressed simply but that was alright to her. She was never the type to complain. She made sure we did not go hungry, she made sure we had new clothes too occasionally. I failed many times over if I was to be compared to my mom. If I think of what I have today and what my mom didn't have, I would know that I have not thanked Allah enough.

Today the younger generations are pressured by many issues in their living environment. Husbands are pressured to provide the family with many things and wives sometimes forget to help or ease the burden. When the husband is earning well, all else is well but when the husband is laid off work trouble starts to brew in the family. Begin by being generous and Allah will give us more. Learn to live within our means just like how Mak or Tok Mak used to do. Never put ourselves before others for Allah will give us more in return. Believe only in Allah for only He will provide us with what He sees fit for us.




 

Comments