Rabat, Morocco, The Unseen

I have been privileged, work takes me places. This time it's Rabat, Morocco and this is the second time I've been to the African continent after visiting Cape Town and Durban in South Africa. I arrived late Wednesday. Thursday and Friday I was in the meeting room till late. So I only get to see Rabat when I came the first day, on my way to the meeting venue and on Saturday morning before going to Casablanca aiport.

The population of Rabat speaks Arabic and French mostly. I was expecting to see more of the men in robes and ladies wearing hijabs but they were not to be seen. In my mind they are like us in Malaysia maybe 20-30 years ago but I can be wrong. Islam is like for the elders only, in Malaysia it used to be like that but we know not today. The meeting venue which caters conferences etc is quite a big place but when I asked where I could do my prayers, I was shown a small room 8ft x 6ft, at one corner of the venue, the room a little unkempt and on both occassion I was there  only one guy came in to pray in the same room. That got me so confused being in this Islamic country. Where do the rest do their prayers I wonder but I was a guest so if there was a better prayer room for ladies only wouldn't they have shown me that. My kids would tell me off not to be judgemental. The other occassion would be when I asked if the food at the restaurant is halal and they seemed so taken aback like 'hello we are an islamic country ok', however we can see 'jambon' in the menu and from those  days of travel in France in 97, I know jambon is pork!!!!

Like many cities Rabat the capital of Morocco has the new city and the old city. We took the taxi to get to places in Rabat even though they have the trams. Several occasions the taxi drivers had the Quran recitation on in the car. Sharing taxis is the norm over there. The local taxis are really old, small cars but they use Mercedes for airport transfers.



 
When we ask for the directions to the tourist area, we were told The Medina. On both ocassions we went, we weren't sure if we got to the real tourist area. Once was in the night and the other on Saturday morning and the shops in Medina weren't open yet. The taxi driver showed us 'The Medina'.
 


Part of The Medina
 



The Wall or Fortress surrounding The Medina
There didn't seem to be any ratrace in Rabat, again I could be wrong. The area by the sea were occupied by the 'people' living and those who have passed on. In this area it was not taken by hoteliers or the rich building their mansions, maybe because it wasn't the area with the beaches. That thought seems nice though unlike in our country where the impression is who has the money gets to build anything along the sea/beaches especially in Port Dickson. That's development to the municipality I reckon too  eager to build and 'progress'.

The seaside belongs to the community, the living and the dead.





The expressway to Casablanca from Rabat too traverses along the sea and you can see the communities abode from afar.

 
 
 
 
I guess when you're not taken around by a tourist guide you see the real place itself and how the people are. The beautiful pictures of Rabat can be found elsewhere. It was really work in Rabat, no time to shop for anything and visit the historical places as can be seen on internet, which could be the main attraction actually. It was a good trip nevertheless.








 
 
 


 

Comments